You can not select more than 25 topics Topics must start with a letter or number, can include dashes ('-') and can be up to 35 characters long.
||4 years ago|
|i18n/fr/LC_MESSAGES||11 years ago|
|.gitignore||4 years ago|
|CHANGELOG||4 years ago|
|COPYING||11 years ago|
|MANIFEST.in||11 years ago|
|README||4 years ago|
|distribute_setup.py||11 years ago|
|fr.po||11 years ago|
|gcp||4 years ago|
|gcp.1||11 years ago|
|gcp.po||11 years ago|
|setup.py||11 years ago|
|test_gcp.py||4 years ago|
(c) Jérôme Poisson aka Goffi 2010, 2011
gcp (Goffi's cp) is a files copier.
** LICENSE **
gcp is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
(at your option) any later version.
gcp is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
GNU General Public License for more details.
You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
along with gcp. If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.
** WTF ? **
gcp is a file copier, loosely inspired from cp, but with high level functionalities like:
- progression indicator
- gcp continue copying even when there is an issue: he just skip the file with problem, and go on
- journalization: gcp write what he is doing, this allow to know which files were effectively copied
- fixing names to be compatible with the target filesystem (e.g. removing incompatible chars like "?" or "*" on vfat)
- if you launch a copy when an other is already running, the files are added to the first queue, this avoid your hard drive to move its read/write head all the time
- files saving: you can keep track of files you have copied, and re-copy them later (useful when, for example, you always copy some free music to all your friends).
- gcp will be approximately option-compatible with cp (approximately because the behaviour is not exactly the same, see below)
/!\ WARNING /!\
gcp is at an early stage of development, and really experimental: use at your own risks !
** How to use it ? **
Pretty much like cp (see gcp --help).
Please note that the behaviour is not exactly the same as cp, even if gcp want to be option-compatible. Mainly, the destination filenames can be changed (by default, can be deactivated).
gcp doesn't implement yet all the options from cp, but it's planed.
** journalizaion **
The journal is planed to be used by gcp itself, buts remains human-readable. It is located in ~/.gcp/journal
3 states are used:
- OK means the file is copied and all operation were successful
- PARTIAL means the file is copied, but something went wrong (e.g. changing the permissions of the file)
- FAILED: the file is *not* copied
after the state, a list of things which went wront are show, separated by ", "
** What's next ? **
Several improvment are already planed
- copy queue management (moving copy order)
- advanced console interface
- notification (xmpp and maybe mail) when a long copy is finished
- retry for files which were not correctly copied
- badly encoded unicode filenames fix
- file copy integrity check
... and other are with a "maybe"
- graphic interface
- desktop (Kde, Gnome, XFCE, ...) integration
- distant copy (ftp)
- basic server mode, for copying files on network without the need of nfs or other heavy stuff
** Credits **
A big big thank to the authors/contributors of...
gcp use ProgressBar (http://pypi.python.org/pypi/progressbar/2.2), a class coded by Nilton Volpato which allow the textual representation of progression.
This heavily used library is used here for the main loop, event catching, and for DBus. Get it at http://library.gnome.org/devel/glib/
This excellent IPC is in the heart of gcp. Get more information at www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/dbus
python and its amazing standard library:
gcp was coded quickly for my own need thanks to this excellent and efficient language and its really huge standard library. Python can be download at www.python.org
If I forgot any credit, please contact me (mail below) to fix it.
Big thanks to contributors and package mainteners
** Contributions **
2011: Thomas Preud'homme <firstname.lastname@example.org>: manpage, stat resolution fix
** Contact **
You can contact me at email@example.com .
You'll find the latest version on my ftp: ftp://ftp.goffi.org/gcp, or check the wiki ( http://wiki.goffi.org/wiki/Gcp )
Please report any bug on http://bugs.goffi.org
You can also have a look to my other main projects (and maybe to the smaller ones too ;) ):
- lm (list movie): a tool to list movies using IMdB data, loosely inspired from ls
- SàT: my main project, a jabber/XMPP client, which is a brick to many others things I have in mind
Don't hesitate to give feedback :)